Identity

Hi Team!

For this task you will need to think about our Inquiry topic of “Identity”. We have been learning about countries, cultures, traditions, neighbours and how all of those elements relate to our identities.

Follow the link to read about “A Day in the Life of Damien“, a young boy from Papua New Guinea. As you are reading, think about the following questions:

• How is Damian’s life DIFFERENT to yours? How is it the SAME?
  • If you lived with Damian for a short time, which aspect of your life in Australia would you miss the most? Why?

You will be drafting a QUALITY COMMENT responding to those questions in a Microsoft Word document and posting it onto this page. Make sure you refer to the “Quality Commenting” link to help you if you need it – your comments should be full of rich, supported language and follow all the guidelines!

I look forward to reading all your comments!

Mrs Robson

18 comments

1. Hello world,
    I really enjoyed reading the story about Damian’s life as it was very interesting.
    I believe that his life is very different to mine because he does not have any electricity in his house, he eats different sorts of foods, he doesn’t have much technology, it takes him a while to walk to school and he shares a water supply with six other families. Another reason is because of the image that is displayed, because it looks like he is wearing different clothes and his surroundings look very different.
    Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading my post on Damian’s life!
    NK

2. Dear people,
    I really liked when Damien got to sell cooked food at the roadside market.
    I enjoyed the part when Damien got to play with his friends because he works hard because he has to walk to school and it takes more than 1 hour.
    Damien’s life is different to mine because we have computers and they don’t.
    The thing I would miss the most about Australia is the different people, because of the people who are there are people that appreciate different cultures
    From YD

3. Dear beloved world,
    I really enjoyed Damien’s story about his life. I also enjoyed the way he lives his life because he has a specific timetable of what to do.
    I believe that he does not have much money and is quite poor due to the way he told us that he has leftovers from dinner for breakfast and the kind of chores that he has.
    Also since he has no electricity at his house I think he has to do a lot more things manually than if he had electricity. Because of this I do not think that his family has a very good job. My highlight about him is that he does not complain about all the work that he does if I was him I would be complaining all the time.
    Thanks for reading, GC

4. Dear 5NR and Mrs Robson,
    I am looking forward to sharing my ideas about “A day in the life of Damien”.
    I believe Damien’s life is different to mine because I don’t walk to school and I don’t start school at 8:00 and finish at 2:30. I also think his life is different to mine because I don’t have to collect water from the nearby water supply, I just turn on the tap. I believe that we are similar because we both go to school, and we would both like to be teachers. I think that if I lived with Damien for a short time that I would not survive because there is no electricity and you would have to get up really early for school. Also I will probably miss my computer the most because if I don’t have it I will not be able to check the blog.
    I hope you enjoyed my post about “A day in the life of Damien”
    From AZ

5. Hello everyone!
    I really liked how Damian was helping his mum sell food. It is very nice to others. I believe it’s a hard time for Damian to live by eating leftovers from the night before. The reason why I was interested in this text is because the time he starts and ends school one hour before us and how he is in grade 3 when he is 11! He is a helping hand for his mum and he does a mountain of homework.
    I hope you enjoyed reading my comment.
    WL

6. A Day In the Life of Damien
    Dear World,
    Damien’s life is different to mine because he doesn’t have electricity or television to keep him entertained. He also has to walk to school which takes him one hour to get there and another hour to get back. If it rains it will take him even longer. Damien’s life is similar to mine because we both have to do our homework while it is daytime and we both go to bed at around 9:00PM – 10:00PM.
    If I lived with Damien I think the aspect of my Australian life that I would miss would be my computer games and family. I think I would miss my computer games because in my spare time I am always trying to get on my computer games. I think I would also miss my family because it is hard to concentrate on things around you if there is no-one near you that cares for you.
    Hope you enjoyed my post! 
    JH

7. Dear 5NR,
    I really enjoyed reading about Damien and his lifetime.
    I think that Damien and his family were really poor and were very lucky that they could send Damien to school. The reason why I say that is because Damien was only in grade 3 when he was 11! Damien’s life is different because they share a well with six families. His life is the same because he also goes to school like I do. If I lived with Damien for a short time, I would miss the society of my home.
    Thanks for reading!!!
    SS-T

8. A DAY IN A LIFE OF DAMIEN
    Yo Peeps,
    I enjoyed Damien’s story because it reminds me of how much I care about other people and how badly I want to help them.
    My and Damien’s life are similar because we both go to school and come back to do homework and we both like spending time with my friends. We both also like sport and play sport in our free time. The most important similarity between us is we both have a loving family which is the most important thing between us. Our lives are very different because he doesn’t get much time to spend with friends and he also doesn’t get healthy and delicious foods all the time. Electricity is so important in my life but Damien doesn’t even have a television which I don’t get how he lives without one. I think the biggest difference between us is that we both have very different things like I have lights and he has candles and I have Oreos and he has dough balls.
    I would miss my family and cats the most because the are the most important things in the world to me. The reason there so important is because I can always rely on them to help me up when I fall down. I hope if I do stay with them I can bring my family with me. I think that if I did stay with them I would probably feel very welcomed and I’m sure they would help me if I needed it. Also now that I think of it I would probably start freaking out and I’m sure that they try there best to cheer me up so I can go on without my family.
    I hope you really, really enjoyed my post!
    MB

9. A Day in a life of Damien
    Hello World,
    Damien’s life is different to mine because where he lives is very poor and the education at school is not as high quality. Also he has to share water with six other families, but where I live water comes straight from a tap. Where Damien goes to school is entirely different as they start at 8:00 – 2:30, Damien has to walk to and from school and he doesn’t have any technology. Some of Damien’s life is the same because I have to do chores and I also have to go to school.
    If I lived with Damien for a short while I would really miss the technology that we are lucky to have. I would miss the technology because they are one of the main things that entertain me, I use computers a lot to help with schoolwork and projects. It would also be weird for me how you have to walk a long way to collect water.
    I hope you enjoyed my post!
    SS

10. Hello world,
    Thank you for sharing all your comments on the blog.
    I really enjoyed reading a story called ‘A day in the life of Damian’. Damian’s life is different to mine as his house had no electricity, they don’t have computers or televisions at his school and he fetches water. Damian’s life is the same as mine as he goes to school, plays sport at school and does homework from school.
    If I lived with Damian for a short time, I would miss going on the computer, watching TV and not fetching water. I would really hate to fetch water. I really want to help Damian.
    Thanks for reading!
    from CW

11. Dear 5NR,
    We have been posting a lot of great of great comments lately. Damien’s life is different to mine because I have a tap for water in my house and electricity. School starts at eight o’clock in Papua New Guinea and at nine o’ clock in Australia. We both have sports at our schools and do home learning, we also have all the subjects that we have. I would miss all my electronic devices because they don’t have any electricity and we couldn’t do much else there except for doing the dishes. I would also miss not having to walk for a long time to get water.
    I imagine that the classroom would be pretty crowded with 46 students. Thanks for reading!
    From DC

12. Dear world,
    I am looking forward to the holidays.
    Damian’s life is different to mine because he has to walk to school even when it is raining, I don’t go to school at 8:00 in the morning, don’t usually eat dough balls, I don’t usually sell food on the road, He doesn’t have much electricity, I don’t usually share a water supply with other families and I can do my homework in the dark because I have a lamp.
    Also his school is not Serpell and he doesn’t live in Papua New Guinea. Another thing different is I’m not 11 and I rarely eat leftovers from last night’s dinner. My life is the same because we both like electronics, sport and math. If I lived with Damian for a while I would miss playing with my friends, eating good food and going to school at 9:00 and getting picked up from school. I also don’t want to walk 2 hours every day.
    From DW

13. Hey guys,
    I just read a story about this boy named Damien and it was really sad. It made me want to help out these kinds of people even more. His life is really different to mine apart from the fact that we both eat, we both attend school, we have parents and we are the same age, 11. The things that are different about us is that he has no electricity what so ever and I have all the electricity I want, he doesn’t have taps so he has to go fetch water from a water supply which he shares with six other families and many more things.
    If I lived with Damien for a while the thing I would probably miss the most would be my family even though I sometimes I am really angry with my 2 brothers and sister. If my family came with me the next thing I would miss would be the education I get from my school. Not having really great education like I do would be horrible.
    Why don’t you go check out Damien’s story by clicking the thing that says “a day in the life of Damien.” Thanks for reading my post and I hope you enjoyed it.
    From EV 🙂

14. Hello universe,
    I just read the text called ‘A day in the life of Damian’ it made me feel sorry for him and made me want to help people like him and his family.
    It is extremely different to the way I live and has made me more grateful for what I have. His family has no electricity and hardly any money and food, and he can hardly afford a good education. This makes me realise how lucky I am to have food and water and a good education that will give me a good job. I feel bad for Damian because he cannot afford all the opportunities that we have. I wonder why he is eleven years old and yet he is still in year 3? Maybe the system for school in Papua New Guinea is different from Australia.

This task asked the question: If you lived with Damian for a short time, which aspect of your life in Australia would you miss the most? Why?
    I think would probably miss my family the most, but if they came with me, I would probably miss the freedom and good education of Australia because according to the text, schools in Papua New Guinea do not have many good resources and are usually overcrowded. I would also miss the technology we have at school here in Australia because we use it for many things including our blog and many mathematics and literacy activities. After reading this text I appreciate what I have here in Australia more and I realize that I am very lucky.
    Thanks for reading my post, I hope you enjoyed it!
    From ED 🙂

15. Hello world,
    I am looking forward to the end of the term.
    Damien’s life is different to mine because he has to share water with six other families and my water comes from a tap. He also has to do his homework in the daylight because he doesn’t have electricity. Also, his school is not as good as Serpell and it starts at 8:00 and ends at 2:00. It takes him an hour to walk to school so he has to wake up before 7:00! Another thing that is different is that his breakfast is leftovers from last night’s dinner. Damien is 11 years old and is doing grade 3 which is something I find very weird! My life is the same as his because I also have to help out with chores and we’re both 11 years old. We also both love playing games and both our schools have over 1000 students. Another thing that we are the same is that both our favourite food is rice.
    If I stayed with him for a short time, I would miss school and most of all electronics. Electronics always keep me entertained and sometimes I do my schoolwork on the computer. I would also miss my mum picking me up from school because Damien has to walk every day just to get to school and back. I would also miss water from the tap because Damien has to walk a long way just to get water. I hope you enjoyed reading my post! school and back.
    I hope you enjoyed reading my post!
    Sincerely, LL

16. Hi everyone,
    In “A day in the life of Damien” I was very interested in the life that Damien has. I think that if Damien lived in Australia then maybe he might experience all the technology and all the great places you can go to. Here is a
    question that I would like to ask him: Is it hard living with no technology and are your class rooms big?
    Well I hoped you liked my post.
    From MR

17. Hello 5NR and others,
    I really enjoyed the part where Damian talks how he has to do his homework in the daylight because they had no electricity so in the night they have to light a candle. He talked about when he was playing soccer at school and that got me interested, I wondered if he was good or not. He would have had a very different life to us.
    Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed my post.
    From KK

18. What’s up world,
    I enjoyed the part when Damien helps his mum at home. It was a clever idea how he had to come home in the daylight to do his homework, that was my favourite part. His life in PNG is very different to our lives in Australia because in Australia we have electricity so that lets us watch television and other things that need electricity.
    I hope you enjoyed my post.
    from HT