Science in 5NR

Hi team!

This page will be the basis for our reflections, hypothesis and observations through our science unit this year. In term 2 we are working on the Inquiry unit “What’s the Matter?”.

We had our incursion for this topic on Wednesday, 28th May with the AMAZING Professor Bunsen. Please find our comments below!

Mrs Robson

16 comments

1. Sup world,
    I am looking forward to the science night. It looks like everyone enjoys blogging in 5NR. One highlight of the session for me was when he shot the coke bottle into the air because I thought it was really cool. Another highlight for me was when Professor Bunsen told us that the turmeric sucks blood through your skin because it was very interesting but then it was actually the soap that made the turmeric red. The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was that you can’t see ANY type of gas because I thought you could see some. I also learnt that if you put icing sugar in a Milo tin and then light a candle inside the tin it will make a loud pop, fire will come up and there will be a cloud of icing sugar. I hope you enjoyed my post and I hope you enjoyed the incursion too!
    Sincerely, LL

2. Hello world,
    The highlights of the session for me were when professor Bunsen lit the bottle on fire because when the ball flashed out and wrecked a drawing.
    Also I loved when he dropped 6 mentos into a huge bottle of pepsi and the chemical reaction made the pepsi explode into a fountain.
    The most interesting scientific part was when Mr Bunsen made a fool out of us when he used tumeric and soap to make fake blood. The real reason is that the tumeric had a chemical reaction to the soap spray.
    from YD

3. ‘ WHATS’ The matter Incursion
    Dear 5NR,
    – The highlights of the session for me where.
    – When he used baking soda and some chemicals from his lab. The baking soda made the liquids rise. Once cake had risen it was rock hard.
    – Another highlight of the session for me would be when he had a piece of paper on the wall and you had to put soap on your hand to get the blood out of your hand but actually its not actually blood. There was tumarik on the paper.
    – The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was that catalyst is in nappies.
    From JK

4. WHY MATTER MATTERS ?
    Dear 5NR,
    1. the highlights for me for the science incursion was, first when proffesor Bunson put about 6 mentos into a bottle of pepsi and it made a super cool pepsi fountain it was so cool.My second favourite part of the science incursion was , when he put a ball into a a container of water and he left it in there for one week then today when he pulled it out it was super doper big.
    2. the most interesting scientific thing for me was when I learnt was how small an atom was. Inever realised how small one was infact if you put 6 million attoms together it wouldn’t even make the size of this computer screen right now!
    I hope you enjoy my post JTH

5. Hello world,
    Thankyou for sharing your posts about the incursion we had recently, now it is my turn to share. The highlights of the session for me were when Professor Bunsen made the bottle explode up into the air like a rocket because all you need is a bottle, a pump and some water. Another highlight was when he made the bottle of H202 fizz up dramatically with only soap and a catalyst because it filled up a whole tub. The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was that when you add soap to turmeric it becomes red like blood. Thanks for reading my comment, DC.

6. Dear World,
    I had a lot of fun at the Incursion with Professor Bunsen. One of the highlights of the session for me was when he (Professor Bunsen) put six mentos into a bottle of coke and coke came flying out! The most scientific thing I learnt is that if you put H202, soap and a scientific powder into a bottle, and mix it all together it can make a seemingly endless stream of foam. It was also a highlight for me when a little ball ( a water saver) the size of a marble turned into a ball the size of a gobstobber in just a week by absorbing water, it is also made of 98% water. Overall I had a great time at the Incursion, I wish I could do it all over again!
    I hope you enjoyed my post.
    JH

7. Dear Mrs Robson,
    On the Wednesday the 28th of may 5NR, 5MR and 5KB had an incursion about our science topic What’s the Matter? Professor Bunsen was the person who ran the incursion. The highlights of the session for me were was when he told us if you put turmeric on human hands it would make your hands bleed but it wasn’t true – he put soap on his hand to make the turmeric look like blood. Also when he showed us the ‘cake’ he mixed baking soda and vinegar to make a chemical reaction and eventually it hardened and the container that it was in melted and it turned into a plate. The most interesting scientific thin that I learnt was when he put a plastic bottle on a bike pump and made AL pump air in to the bottle, then Professor Bunsen opened the bottle quickly and he made a cloud and LM ate the cloud. I hope you enjoyed my post about our incursion with Professor Bunsen.
    AZ =)

8. Hi world
    The highlights of the incursion was when he made a cake in 10 minutes by using baking soda it was rock hard and he told us that there were plenty of air bubbles. Another amazing highlight for me was how he turned a liquid into a solid in twenty second. The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was he made a huge water ball in a cup and the water is absorbed.
    From DT.

9. Dear world,
    I really enjoyed the sciense incursion that proffessor Bunsen did with us.
    One of the highlights of the session was when he put some baking soda in the cup and two other chemicals in and the heat made it rise and eventually turn into a hard solid.

The other highlight for me would have been when he made a small fountain of Pepsi by putting a Mentos pack to cover the opening and then stabbing a stick through the top of the Mentos pack and through the Pepsi bottle.

The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was that a gas and a liquid can make a solid.
    Thanks you for reading my post. Bye!
    NK

10. Hello world,
    It looks like you have been enjoying posting lots of comments on our blog. The highlights of the session for me was when Professor Bunsen launched the water bottle in the air because it was a nice view and it was funny when the water bottle fell. Another highlight for me was when he made a coke fountain because the mentos that he put in made a chemical reaction with the coke and it made a coke fountain. The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was when he used water savers and put them in a tub of water and it grew so big because the water savers absorbed water.
    Thanks for reading!
    From CW

11. Dear world,
    I really enjoyed when mr Bunsen came in for a science incursion. I really enjoyed when he put baking soda in a cup and two other chemicals inside the heat made it rise and made it into a solid after a few minutes. I also enjoyed the part when he put soap on his hand and put it on paper rubbed with turmeric to make it look like the paper sucked his blood but it was just the chemical reaction with the turmeric and the soap. The most scientific thing was when he put mentos in the coke bottle and the chemical reaction made the coke spray out like a fountain.
    By G.C

12. Hello Universe,
    Last week the grade 5’s were lucky enough to take part in a very exciting science incursion. It was incredibly interesting and I learned many new things. The highlights of the session were when the scientist used two chemicals from his lad combined with baking soda to form a solid and I really also enjoyed the part where he spread turmeric on a piece of paper and pretended that blood come out if you place the paper on your hand. Actually it was just soaps reaction to turmeric which made a red liquid appear.
    The most interesting part was when he used little balls called ‘water savers’. The way he used water savers was by placing them in water and over time they absorbed the water and became a lot bigger.
    Thanks for reading my post about the science incursion.
    SS

13. Greetings universe!
    The incursion with Professor Bunsen was really fun, but the main highlights of the session were when Professor Bunsen told us that the ball got pushed out of the bottle because of the gases’ energy. The ‘Pepsi explosion’ and the ‘water with gas’ explosions were also awesome! The gas pushes up the water, which causes no room for the gas to escape. The most interesting scientific thing I learnt was that the turmeric ‘makes you bleed’ was false. The soap caused the turmeric coated paper to turn red wherever you put the soap. The chemicals in the soap cause the reaction. This was an amazing and scientific session!
    WL

14. On Wednesday the 28th of May, Professor Bunsen came in to do some science experiments.
    One of the highlights of the session for me was when he called me up to do an experiment on me! Professor Bunsen had some water and was going to pour it on me, but it tuned into a gel. This is because he put some substances from a nappy to make it a gel.
    Another highlight for me was when Professor Bunsen had a coin in a heat pack, two girls bent the coin. The coin started to crystallise and the heat pack automatically became hot, and it became hot by itself!
    The most scientific thing I learnt was that turmeric and soap can cause a chemical reaction. What the soap does is make the turmeric go all red!

I hope you guys enjoyed my post, and I will be reading your post on Professor Bunsen’s visit!
    FROM: RAT

15. Dear 5NR,
    The most scientific thing I learnt was that tumeric will react with heat and soap to make red liquid. The highlights of the session for me was the time he made a can move with a balloon by puting more electrons on it. He did this by stripping the electrons of someone’s hair. Another highlight was that i got to blow up a Barbie doll with a rocket!!! this happend because the air is pushing the lid propelling it up. the hosts name is Professor Bunsen. You HAD to be there!!!
    from KC

16. Hello fellow bloggers,
    I think you have been enjoying our posts. The highlight of the session for me where when Professor Bunsen put a smiley ball in a litre bottle and then he had a lighter so he made a hole in the bottle and pressed the trigger and the ball exploded or shot it and it made a BANG! The other highlight was when he broke the barbie doll with pepsi max and the mentos, so first he got a 1 litre bottle of pepsi max and then he put the mentos in a tube on the bottle because the bottle had a lid on it, then he got a stick and pushed the mentos in the bottle and the Barbie flew up and the barbie broke a leg and an arm. So it exploded because the mentos had a reaction.The most intersting scientific thing i learnt was when Professor Bunsen put ink on Aiden’s shirt and in 5 minutes it was all gone because, it wasn’t actually ink it was something else.
    from KK